Becoming a YPNG Mentor and sharing your career experiences in a Podcast will help our young people choose a fulfilling career and motivate them to study hard in high school and pursue the post high school education they will need to reach their career goals.
You don't need any special equipment to make a mentor recording. The voice memo program on iPhones and Android phones were used to make most of the podcasts on our site. Just complete the recording and e-mail it to us and we will convert it into a Podcast.
Here is an outline of some suggested topics for your recording:
1. Give some background on your personal career experience and the kind of training you received.
2. Give an overall summary of what is involved in your career specialty and the personal traits one must have to be successful. For example, a tool and die maker is required to know trigonometry and needs good hand/eye coordination while a person in marketing must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to analyze marketing data and statistics.
3. Talk about the pace of change in your workplace and if there is the need for continuing education to remain competitive.
4. Tell our YPNG Members what you find most satisfying about your career and try to give some examples.
5. Tell them what you find most challenging and what you dislike. There are parts of all jobs that are less enjoyable than others. Let people hear both sides.
6. Give the Members an example of what you do at work in a typical day. Tell them details such as the number of people you interact with up and down your organization, the type of equipment you might use, the amount of travel that might be involved, your typical hours and perhaps how you balance your home and family life if that is difficult in your particular career.
7. Talk about education and training requirements you feel are necessary to prepare for your career. You might also mention the institutions and organizations that you feel do the best job of preparing people for your career specialty.
8. Explain to them the pathway you have to normally follow to reach the top rungs of your career.
9. Give members your thoughts about compensation and future economic prospects for your career. The YPNG editors will also add information at the end of your submission related to compensation statistics when there is historical wage and salary data available. They will also provide sources for that information so a member can do additional research on a career’s economic prospects.
Send us your bio when you send your recording and our editors will use that information in the introduction to your podcast.
If you have questions, please first fill out the "Become a Mentor" form and then e-mail your questions and how you would like to be contacted to Mentor Submissions.
YPNG expects to also be able to offer you the opportunity to have face-to-face contact with students in the next few month by allowing you to schedule your own video classroom sessions with up to five YPNG members. These will be recorded and archived so other young people can access them like your podcast. Let us know if you would like to participate when you submit your recording . These video classrooms will be at your discretion. We will calendar them on the YPNG site for the day and time you choose and notify the area high schools and our members about the opportunity for them to register for your session. We will also ask students who sign up to submit two questions and will provide them to you before the class so you have an idea of what interest these young people.